Saturday, January 2, 2010

camaro boards?

Well, it looks like it's gonna be hitting the fan this weekend. As most of my very few readers know, a few weeks ago, I started my very own Camaro Board. The url is http://www.firstgens.com/


There's our front door. Anyway, this morning i recieved a PM from the autoforum guy who owns Team Camaro now, it went like this:
---------------------------------------------------
Hi Jim:


I see that you have started up your own Camaro web site. It may come as no surprise to you that some will see this as a conflict of interest.


Here, I am assuming that JimM on Firstgens.com is the same JimM here. I hope that you are able to build what you are looking for but this is a situation where you cannot walk on both sides of the fence.


Please confirm that your are the JimM on that site and let's look at whatever transition issues may be required.

Thanks... Don
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Still waiting for the west coast to wake up. I did reply, via email, this doesn't seem the sort of conversation that should take place somewhere that "they" can just ban me from, or erase, at any moment.

And I'm kinda wondering:

How I could have a conflict of interest, when I have no agreement (other than  the basic posting rules when I signed up to be a member, 10 years and 21,000 posts ago) with them of any kind. I'm just a volunteer moderator, they don't even pay me.

What gave autoforums the right to put up fences on the internet? Heck, there's a hundred Camaro boards, maybe more. Who do they think they are?

"whatever transition issues" there may be? I have no transition issues. I've been a member of TC for 10 years. I post a lot. 22093 posts as of right now.  Many years ago, I was asked to be a moderator, and I've done my best in that role all along, up to and including right now today. A LOT of people know me and respect me there.

So, I really got to wonder what autoforums will do?

If they decide I can't be a moderator any more, but I can still post, then EVERYONE who see's me post (and you betcha I'll keep answering every tech thread that comes up!) will ask why I no longer have a mod flag next to my name. Of course I'll tell them. With the way thousands of people roll thru that board every week... well, I'm not blowing my horn to think I'll be the main topic of conversation for a long long time. And everyone will be sent to my new board http://www.firstgens.com/ And i won't even have to do it.

If they ban me it'll be even worse.

You'd think "they" would just decide live and let live is the best approach.

JimM
share on:facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment