Thursday, December 31, 2009

Winter?

Well sorts of... it's not really winter, it's the tail end of the holidays, New Years Eve. On a Thursday this year, so I got 3 full days before "winter" sets in.

And I ain't gonna think about that. It's a beautiful day, sunny, cold, stiff breeze out of the northwest. A typical Chicago winter day. I just finished clearing an inch of fresh snow off the driveways and sidewalk, and I'm sitting in the garage  typing and listening to the Monkees.

I'm liking my sound system and my new Camaro stools out in the "mancave" and I'm liking the heck out of keeping my truck warm inside. I just don't know why I've never done that before? There's really plabty of room, heck, People can get in and out both sides of the truck, no danger of whacking the Camaro with a door, even room to walk in front and behind it!

I think I need to go outside and take a few pics with my new camera. I'm gonna take it with tonight too, take lots of pics. Carol darling, thank you so much for getting me this new camera, I just love it. The old one was cool, but this one is soo light and sooo fast. It will focus in the dark, and rarely underexposes a shot. And the flash doesn't make redeye, ever.

Tonight we're going to Phil and Lorries. This has been a family tradition for a long long long time. It's probably the only real family tradition we have these days. We show up there early, and have what they call a "tempura party" I'm not sure what that means exaclty, but it involves a WOK, and a bunch of peanut oil, and various things that get dipped in batter and fried in the WOK.
Basically, it's a 4 hour or more "graze-fest." We just eat. Fried rice, egg rolls, chicken pork and shrimp, more than a half dozen doifferent veggies. There's over 20 of us, so we take turns around the WOK, grabbing a few of this and some more of that, munching a while, then moving off so someone else can have a turn, and then back again 15 or 30 minutes later to graze some more.

An adult man can eat an amazing amount of food when he spreads it over several hours of chewing.

OK, I'm mgonna go take some "winter pics" to post, finish this up, and then call Canada and see what's happening there... hmmm, Mark and Sandra are going to DanB's... they woulda left all ready, gonna hafta call a cel phone and say Hi. Then I'll find Danielle, haven't talked to "my girl" since she called on Christmas. Well damn, neither Mark nor Sandra has their cel's on. Well, you guys have fun with Dan and Valery, Dan, I'm sorry you're not talking to me anymore....

Here's some pics. It was 4:45, very much twilight. That 18-55 image stablized lens just gathered up what light there was and gave me some good pictures. They say you can't handhold slower than 1/30th, well these are from 1/20th to 1/12. solid as a rock, perfect focus, and perfect exposure.






It's a winter wonderland indeed.

Next week, it will get into real winter. 3 months of dark and cold. But for now, it's still the holidays, and I'm good with that. We're off shortly to spend a fun evening with the family, we don't do near enough of those anymore.

G'night all. Happy New Year!!


share on:facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment