Saturday, December 19, 2009

Happy Birthday...

... to ME!!!         Yes indeed, rolled another year under the drag radials yesterday, I am now 52 years young. For our birthday celebration, I came home from work to find the entire block bathed in total darkness! Yup, no power. Piled the family into my pickup as Carol's family truckster was trapped in the garage by the non-functional electric garage door opener and went out for a good steak.

When we moved to Yorkville, 8 years ago or so, it was a sleepy lil river town on the very edge of suburbia. We had a jewel foodstore, a couple gas stations, an ancient 50's style open air inside out outdoor shopping center that was 3/4 empty, and a couple biker bars.

We said "just wait" growth will come. Well, thanks to the recession a lot of that growth has been cancelled, delayed, or simply put on hold, but just prior, all the stores got here! Both a menards and a home depot, several walgreens drugstores (like starbucks, they build on every corner!) and SEVERAL really good resturants.

So we went to Stonebridge, our favorite local steakhouse, and I had a birthday fillt that was very worthy of a lil steakhouse in a tiny town 55 miles from lake michigan.

And went home to find the power still out.

So I brought in some wood and got a fire going, Carol lit some candles, and we settled back for an old fashioned evening. No TV, no computers, no videogames. Well sorta. Brian played nintendo DS. And I surfed Team Camaro on my phone.

I'd like that phone much better if I could see it. Worked fine last night with my walmart reading glasses on, makes that tiny screen read like a ten incher! But without the glasses, I see nothing but a blob. Oh well, I AM NOT OLD. I REFUSE TO BE OLD. At least I only have to wear the damned glasses to read. Still, it's annoying to not be able to see ANYTHING closer than 4 feet in front on my face.

So what was I talking about? Oh yea, birthday celebrations and power outages.

So after an hour waiting for electricity, we decided to go ahead with presents. I read the cards by candlelight with my walmart reading glasses, and found my main gift on the front porch, brought by the ups man while we were out to dinner!!! so, the birthday fairy brought me 2 seasons of "two and a half men" on DVD, 2 oairs of new jeans (Always need those!!) and.... drumrolls please... 2 nice GARAGE STOOLS!!

I'll finally have someplace to site when out in my "mancave." They are "some assembly required" but they are bar hieght, they swivel, they have short backs, and the seats say "Camaro by chevrolet"

Now I just need to setup some decent sound is the garage. It's time to experiment with a PC based sound system. I really like my bose upstairs in the sitting room, it has a hard drive and I can load all my music on it permanently and never touch a CD again. At $1300 though, kinda out of the question for the garage. So, something I can plug into my computer.

To close for now, here's a pic out my sitting room window this morning. We got 2" of snow overnight, and it's not real cold, so they stuff stuck to everything, looks very cool.

Later on, I'll do what will be the last "thumb update" but I don't feel like it right now.

share on:facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment