Thursday, October 29, 2009

blog every night...

or that's what they tell me. I forgot to mention that yesterday I finally got my really cool map hung up. I found this on the web at a place called raven maps http://www.ravenmaps.com/ It's extremely cool, colored to represent elevation, it looks almost 3D. It's huge, at 37 by 58 inches, the scale is 1" to 50 miles. I got it framed yeasterday and hung it in my office to the right on my desk. I can look at it without even turning around! I wish I could have it at home, but our house is an "open floorplan" and we just don't have any walls that big. The maps looks like this:

So that was yesterday. Today I started taking my Epson 7000 apart to see if I coluld fix it. It's a really old 24 inch roll feed color printer, I want to use it to print vacation and car pictures to hang in my office and at home in my den. More progress on that tomorrow.

I took the vette home today. she's advertised on craigslist and autotrader, so I figured I'd wash her down inside and out and detail her real nice and fix / tighten a few things. So I got the pull handle reattached to the screen that covers behind the seats and started vacuuming. Well, I whacked my bad thumb on something hard enough to knock off half the scab!!! OUCH!!! THAT HURTS!!! Call me wimp, but I packed it in and went upstairs.

I found some tutorials on Microsoft Expressions web designer, so I'm trying to learn that so I can re-design and add to my webpage. BTW, my webpage is http://www.jimragtop.com/ It's all about my car, but it's very very old. I need to redo it to add n ew stuff on the car, and I want to put sections in for our travels, and also a section for this house.

Did I mention I live in a REALLY COOL HOUSE?
Hmmm, I'm annoyed. The house pics are on my wife's computer, which I cannot seem to access from my laptop. I think I'll go get em copying to the server,which I can access, while she's down in the backporch smoking. When she comes back, she'll say "Why's my computer dogging so bad?"
and I'll deny any knowledge. :)

ok cool, gottem. Our house is what's called a "Timber Frame." It's kinda built like a barn or an old fashioned church. The framing is heavy timber, joined with mortise and tenon joints secured by hardwood pags. The frame is then skinned to form the shell, but the frame remains totally exposed on the inside of the home. Here's a pic of the main frame for the great room in all it's naked glory.


If you are counting, that structure is mostly made of 7 by 11 inch lumber. Some is bigger, the bigest peices are 7 by 13 inches. The longest is 24 feet. The room defined by that frame is 55 feet long, 24 feet wide, and 24 feet tall. It's one big open room in the finished house, containing the living room, dining room, and kitchen.
When installed, that was 60,000 pounds of oak.

There is not a single metal fastener in that structure.
share on:facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment