Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The energizer bunny?

Well almost... That bunny is not as exhausted as I am....
I almost got a little work work done today. I did have to go work on Carol's computer, and also had to deal briefly with my Mom and her tivo. Thanks Dann, for helping me out on that one!

Dog's and brats on the grill for dinner, and then back to my woodwork. I did get you guys some pics, but first, how 'bout a thumb update?
Here's tonight's thumb pic:

It really is healing, pretty quickly now. here's a pic of where I started, exactly a month ago:

So much for the gross stuff.

When we first built our timberframe house, we used carpeting on the kids level, as well as on the stairs from the mainfloor to the kids level, and up from there to the second floor master wing. Yes, master wing, well over 1000 square feet, 7 rooms (the closet, at 8 by 16 feet, qualifies as a room!)  but that's another story.

Anyway, I hate carpet. Dirty disgusting stuff, impossible to clean or keep clean. One of my projects this year has been to replace the carpet in the kids wing with hardwood. I used 5/16" prefinished wood flooring from Bruce. Great stuff, very close to the natural  finish oak we used in the great room, but considerable thinner than  the carpet and pad it replaced. So much so that there was a gap of near 1/2" between the bottom of the baseboard and the new flooring.

Regular baseshoe would not fill this gap. Kinda small aginst my 8" custom made baseboard too. (Yes, I made all the woodwork in this house, out of clear pine lumber) So I made some base shoe. Starting with clear pine 1x2, I first rounded opposte corners on the router, then ripped the strips in half, making 3/8  x 2" base moulding that was rounded over on the top edge.

Tonight I finished nailing this down in  the guestroom

You can see the hieght difference, and that I still need to remove and lower the corner block, and make a new taller doorframe block. So the guestroom is almost done. 2 corner blocks to move, and 6 new doorframe blocks to make.

I've also been changing the stairs over from carpet to oak. I got the first one done, from the main floor to the kids level:

So this past weekend I started on the other stairway, this one's a lil bigger at 9 steps instead of just 5. I got Dann to pull off the carpet and pad last weekend, and then I got all the tacks and staples off, and cut off the "toes" of the steps.

Soonly, I'll be cutting 8 steps and 9 risers ($18 and $7.75 each respectively) to exact fit, staining and varnishing them, and attaching the new parts over the old.

Meanwhile, I'm saving money for new carpet upstairs,  in the MBR and sitting room. I'd love to do that in hardwood, but the catwalk and loft are done with 3/4" finished in place oak. At $7 per square foot, that just isn't in the cards.

Someday soon, I'll get more into the house... I love our home, we built it with our own blood and sweat, and much of it with our own hands. It's a unique and special house. I'm sad that we will be moving on soon, and hope that we find a family who will enjoy and respect it as much as we have. Still, the plain and simple fact is I'm done. I need to look forward, to a time when my primary focus won't be maintaining my trophy house. Denver here we come!
So much for today, thanks for joining me.

share on:facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment